Webinar: The 5 Key Shifts of Mastery Based Learning
Following our exploration of one school's journey to mastery-based learning, this session addresses how any institution can start to transform to a more student centered, culturally responsive, and competency based model. Guests from the New York City Department of Education's Mastery Collaborative share their experience and insights on the conditions for success, schoolwide shifts, and classroom shifts needed to transform both your approach to instruction and the way that your students approach learning.
- "5 Power Shifts of Mastery-Based Learning" presentation slides for this session
- Mastery Collaborative Home Page
- Turnitin Webinar: The Journey to Mastery-Based Learning at Staten Island Technical High School
- MC Implementation Framework & 5 Key Shifts
- Single Point Rubric
- Mastery Rubric Template from Frank McCourt High School, Manhattan
- Teaching Moves for COVID-19 Remote Learning from MC
- Grading Strategies for COVID-19 Remote Learning from MC
- 16 Quality Principles to Guide Implementation of Competency-Based Education from Aurora Institute's CompetencyWorks Program
- MC Teacher Tales: How One Spanish Teacher Transitioned to Mastery-Based Grading
- New York State Departmenmt of Education Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Education Framework
- Emdin, C. (2017). For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood - and the Rest of Y'all Too: Reality Pedagogy and Urban Education. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Feldman, J. (2019). Grading for Equity: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How It Can Transform Schools and Classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin, a SAGE Company.