Webinar : The Intersection of Academic Integrity and Equity in Secondary Education
Academic integrity is defined by the International Center for Academic Integrity with regard to the relationship between an academic institution, its students, and student coursework. In that context, it is a mutual commitment to the fundamental values of honesty, trust, fairness, respect, responsibility and courage. While now in common parlance in higher education, the formal vocabulary of academic integrity isn't regularly used in the K-12 context.
Equity, by contrast, has been a central topic in U.S. K-12 education policy since the late 1960s. Inquiries and initiatives around equity in education now encompass race & ethnicity, gender, LGBTQ+, ability/special needs, and further dimensions of social identity and human experience. Equity is frequently linked to the domains of grading/assessment and behavior/discipline. While deeply interconnected to those two domains, academic integrity itself has not yet been a significant part of equity conversations.
With a focus on high schools and middle schools, this panel discussion will bring together policymakers, school administrators, classroom teachers, and thought leaders to venture into this largely uncharted territory. Join us as we link the vocabularies of academic integrity and equity, explore structural challenges, and identify opportunities for action.
- The Fundamentals of Academic Integrity from the International Center for Academic Integrity (ICAI)
- National Honor Society
- American Consortium for Equity in Education
- Lubelfeld, M., & Polyak, N. (2017). The Unlearning Leader: Leading for Tomorrow's Schools Today. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Lubelfeld, M., Polyak, N., & Caposey, P. J. (2018). Student Voice: From Invisible to Invaluable. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Harris, B. (2016). Literally Unbelievable: Stories From an East Oakland Classroom. Scotts Valley, CA: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
- Ramirez, J. and Harris, B. (2020). Letters From the Inside: Hope in the Journey Beyond Classroom and Cell. Scotts Valley, CA: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
- Connect on Twitter: @kalimama99, @BronwynAnn, @access2equityed, @npolyak, @hansololee01, and @monikaddcsd.